Sunday, March 18, 2012

UP-Cycled FARM Pantry Reveal

Me and my new Farm Pantry! I even bought a new apron to celebrate!
 It's finally here! The day we've all been waiting for! Okay, maybe not all of us. Waiting for what you ask? My Pantry makeover is finished! Well, finished enough to be functional until I decide on a few more possible decorative touches.I can't wait to share all of the nitty-gritty details of this transformation with you. Here are a couple of before pics to refresh your memory!

The wall where the pantry is now with buffet.
 

I promise this is the last time we have to look at it! 


My inspiration photo.

Now, on with the reveal!

I've been homemaking full time for over 13 years and a wife for 20. How is it that I've just now caught on to this old/new idea for storing kitchen goods? Why have I been satisfied with cabinets that overflow and things falling out on my head whenever I moved something out of the way to get to what I needed? 

My food storage area before Pantry!
 Until I began cooking more wholesome meals and the kids grew into constantly hungry teens the old system worked alright even if I did have to ice my head sometimes.


 With so much inspiration in magazines, blogs, pinterest and the homesteading movement I was on my way! Once I  RE-claimed " the monster cabinet " from the living room as my new FARM PANTRY  I painted it my favorite shade of  FARMGIRL RED. I don't think there really is such a color out there, but, if there was this would be it! Then it was time to gather glass jars for storage.

Vintage Ball Storage Jars from my mother in laws farmhouse.
Large Anchor Hocking glass jars.

 I'm able to store 3 deep with the large jars and  4 deep with the medium sized ones.
Medium size Anchor Hocking glass jars.
The chalkboard labels are Martha Stewart and can be purchased at Staples

 I love Maratha's chalk board labels. They peel off with out leaving any reside and can be re applied after washing. A damp cloth wipes them clean so you can change the name of the contents if needed.

Tags from Martha Stewart also!
Black wire Milk Crates from Target with liners.

Now, instead of bending over for chips and crackers preciously stored in my lower kitchen cabinet, we can reach in at hip level any time the munchies hit!


The lower storage space in my pantry is large. I'm researching pullout drawers or another type of pantry organization for inside to utilize all of that precious space!


Here's a list of items I have stored in the Pantry:
Flour, brown sugar, sugar, corn meal, pasta, orzo, powdered sugar, rice, quinoa, peas, coconut, mulling spices, chocolate chips and pecans. There's even room for table cloths and napkins.


 Plus, my favorite baking dishes and glass bowls are within easy reach on the top shelf. 


There you have it friends. This project is a combination of UP-cycling, RE- cycling and new items.
A true MODERN DAY FARM PANTRY!


I'm still toying with ideas for the inside. Here's what I'm thinking... a soft Easter Egg Green paint color or maybe vintage french flour sacks or wallpaper. What do you think?
 Oh, and the faux brick wall is going too. It'll be Benjamin Moores Standish White like the rest of the kitchen and dining room. I want my pantry to Pop!


I'm off to play in the pantry! Have a wonderful day!

I'm showing off my new pantry at the Barn Hop the Country Homemaker Hop and Savvy Southern Style Wow us Wednesday!


32 comments:

Kathryn D. Duke said...

this is wonderful and so creative...I recently saw the chalk board stickers at Staples and wondered what I could use them for...
Good job!!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Very pretty! I love how it is open on top and the dishes make it even more special.

Alica said...

I really, really like the red color! I tend to be rather neutral and "boring", but someday maybe I'll branch out and try something like this!

Brenda said...

I love this! It is a wonderful country red! How fun for you. I had a up-cycled piece I planned on sharing for farmgirl Friday but having a picture problem on my blog. Hopefully this Friday. Happy Sunday

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I love that red -- and the chalk labels. They just opened a Staples here (finally!) -- I may have to go check it out.

Candy C. said...

That turned out great Deb! I love the color and how everything is now easily accessible! I like the idea of painting the brick wall and wallpaper on the inside of the cabinet sounds fun! :)

BoPeep said...

So pretty! My kitchen cupboards are barn red like that - no doors. I love open shelves. Feels so farmhousey!

Kim said...

Great job! And red...be still my heart! I like the idea of papering the inside. I have a built-in that I'm trying to get inspired to re-do...after seeing yours, I'm getting there! :)

Sherry said...

It is wonderful, and yes red!! Love it and the use of the baskets and lets not forget your new apron.... very pretty.

Robyn said...

Very neat pantry, Deborah! You are going to love the extra space and handiness.

The chalk board stickers look really neat. I like the glass jar storage idea too.

Country Gal said...

Oh I love it ! Wonderful photos nice to see you in them ! As for the part of not upgrading for a long time, we women do with what we got for the time being I think and find a way to adapt bumps or not lol ! Have a great day !

Unknown said...

Cute! Did you consider adding another shelf above?

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh that looks wonderful~ Love the 'farm girl red' too {wink}

I'm in search for a pantry for my kitchen as well. Currently the set up I have isn't working. A piece of furniture would certainly do the trick for me. I'm thinking on redoing something I have as well.
Your ideas all seem do-able!

Thanks for sharing this-- you're so creative.
~Pat

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I really like what you did! I love the color, the jars,the wire baskets and oh I never knew about the chalk stickers and the tags...very creative!

Clint Baker said...

You are so creative! It really helps to have one.
By the way love the apron! ;-)

Melanie said...

I love your pantry! You have make me think about what I could do in my own kitchen!
Love that apron too!!

Anne@BackyardTreasures said...

Well, I, for one, HAVE been waiting for this post. :) After your 'teaser' photo on FB I was looking forward to this. Too bad I didn't see it yesterday, but it was my birthday and I was gone all day. ;) But, it was worth the wait. What is the name of the paint that you finally chose?

You did such a nice job on it and I enjoyed reading all the details. Thanks for the inspiration.

~~Anne

Unknown said...

Thanks so much everyone! It feels good to have it finished and operational! The paint color is by Ralph Lauren called Chimayo Red from the Thoroughbred collection! I'm thinking about wall paper for the inside and will post when I finish it... Today is beautiful... Headed out to layout the raised beds for this years new flower Farm Garden!
Have a blessed day all!
xo Deb

Nancy Jo said...

That looks really nice Deb. I grew up on a farm and we had a walk in pantry with a window.I think all houses should have a pantry. Love your jars and baskets.Looks great.
Nancy Jo

Joy said...

*LOVE IT* :D And it Definetly HAD to be *RED* :D

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Wow Deb,
That sure turned out pretty. I love the Anchor Hocking glassware and those amazing Martha Stewart chalkboard labels. I really love that amazing red finish too. One of these days I have got to learn how to put on such a nice finish. I have a large t.v. armoire picked out to become my larder... Thank you for the great inspiration.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Oops, I accidentally hit post too soon. That faux brick wall that you are going to cover looks amazing too. You are one talented farmgirl Deb. I thought it WAS brick and I have an entire wall of brick. You fooled me. The standish white will make the pantry POP for sure. BYW- where did you get that fantastic apron? I love it. You are such a great decorator. I wish I could borrow you to fix my mosh-posh place. Lol. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

you just gave me an idea!! thank you!!

Kanelstrand said...

Oh, it's awesome, Deb! And you, you lady, look so happy and shining! I can see that you are loving your pantry!! Wonderful! I love the glass jars and everything! Congratulations!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love that bold color. Nice job.

~Kristin~ said...

Love, love, love it!
Deb, it looks fantastic! And I love Farmgirl Red!!!
Of course I'm a jar girl, too!
So sassy and farmgirl cute!
XO

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Love the new pantry...it looks so organized and I love the containers and of course the great color...I am a new follower...

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I love your red pantry! I need to organize mine and you've given me some ideas. Some wallpaper would be lovely in the back of your pantry. You could just tape it and change it out for the seasons! I'm following now through Linky followers.

All That Glitters said...

Oh my goodness! I love your fargirl red new pantry!!! So perfect and very farmhouse! I can't believe I've never seen your blog before. It's amazing!!!

Take care and happy new follower!
Jennifer

Kim said...

How wonderful to have a beautiful and organized pantry. Lovely pic of you at the top. I'm a new follower, here from Kim's party. Hope you stop by and enter my giveaway!
xoxo,
Kim

Unknown said...

I love this-what a fabulous job-following you from SSS-stop by for a visit!

Elle Mental said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...